Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Kiss Me Kate

We watched that last night because we are watching three adaptations of The Taming of the Shrew, first we watched a strict stage production of The Taming of the Shrew, last night we watched a musical called Kiss Me Kate and I think tomorrow we are watching 10 Things I Hate About you which is cool because I love that movie!
After we've watched all three our teachers will put forth an assignment to compare and contrast the three movies and I have chosen to compare Katerina (or her various counterparts in the other movies) and Petrucio's relationship. Fairly standard and not really imaginative but I'm including some technical elements like that Kiss Me Kate was very modern to it's time. There were fifties (it was shot in '53) references like gangsters and what not in the play they were performing and the dancing was all modern. All in all both very fairly good movies (because I'm really one to judge ;)) although The Taming of the Shrew was bloody freaking long. Well I have general session in 15 minutes and class in 45 so I'll talk to you all later!

Zhen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Taming of the Shrew is my favourite Shakespearean play - but you probably already knew that. Glad you are enjoying it.